3 Smashing Smoothies
Phew, the summer is here! Thank goodness, the spring has been really hectic for me as I finished up another school year teaching ESL/English in Hong Kong while simultaneously planning my big career move. As of NOW, I am a full time Holistic Health Coach and Natural Foods Chef and will be opening my private practice in Brooklyn, NYC come early August. I know you came here for 3 ridiculously delicious and nourishing smoothies, but if you want to read more about my big career move, check out my blog, Follow Your Bliss, No Excuses.
Okay, lets get to the good stuff. We are all busy these days, and we simply don’t always have time to spend 30 mins. preparing breakfast or a light lunch to take “on the go”. My solution: Green smoothies! Playing with Green Smoothies was actually my introduction to Raw Food as I now know it and has literally transformed the way I approach food/nutrition and my busy schedule! You could say, Green Smoothies have been my “gateway drug” into healthy living/eating and I am very grateful to have discovered them.
Green Smoothies are all the craze for a reason: they are quick, delicious, nutritious, diverse, fun and kid friendly! If I have a Green Smoothie for breakfast, I generally make sure to add some bio-available protein and essential fatty acids, aka hemp/chia/flax seeds and some lovely coconut oil! If I really want to make sure the smoothie lasts me to the next meal, I’ll add some Sunwarrior Protein.
Enjoy these recipes, play with them and make them your own!
Green Monster Smoothie (see picture above)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of frozen pineapple
- 2-3 cups of spinach, kale or romaine
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- dash of spirulina if desired! (Makes it extra GREEN!)
- lots of love!
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached!
- Enjoy, share if you are extra generous!
Raspberry and Orange “Cool Down” Smoothie (Perfect for a hot summer day!)
- 1.5 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 gluten free oats
- 1/2 orange
- 1 tbs orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbs Irish Moss (optional)
- 1 tbs Chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- 1/4 water if desired
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Soak the oaks in filtered water for 30 mins.
- Combine ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour and garnish with extra coconut flakes and grated orange zest!
- If possible, share but it may be hard to :)
Spirulina and Cacao Powerhouse Smoothie
- 1/2 cup of Pumpkin seed milk
- 2 heaping tbs of spirulina
- 2 heaping tbs of cacao
- 2 tbs of coconut flakes
- 1/2 inch of grated ginger
- 1 cup of greens! (spinach, kale or any leafy green!!)
- 1 frozen banana
- 5-7 brazil nuts
- 3-4 drops of vanilla Stevia
- dash of sea salt (Himalayan or Celtic)
1) Pour ingredients into a high speed blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
2) Serve and enjoy before a workout, save some for after since your body needs protein 20-25 mins. after your workout! If serving this to children, be generous with the stevia as cacao and spirulina are strong in flavor and color. If children are suspect of the vibrant green color, serve it in a drinking mug/thermos that disguises the color!
There you have it, 3 Green Smoothies packed with nutrients, flavor and COLOR!
Check out my recent blog post: 5 Foods I am LOVING lately!
June 30, 2012 by Elisa Haggarty